Alonso pushed hard in qualifying, and was best-of-the-rest against the highly-fancied Red Bulls. Come Sunday, he drove some consistently fast mid-race laps in changeable conditions, and took a surprise but deserved victory.
FIA F1 World Championship British Grand Prix Qualifying at Silverstone Circuit, England
- A damp weekend for the British Grand Prix saw some lively track action.
- Red Bull dominated qualifying again with Webber tasking pole and Vettel second, but the gap was far less than in previous races - Alonso in third was just one tenth slower.
- The crowd-favourite McLarens struggled: Button in fifth with Hamilton tenth. The race would be no better, Jenson retired with a loose front wheel after a bodged pit-stop, Lewis had initially run strongly but was told to slow down by the team to conserve fuel, finishing a distant fourth.
- New circuit and pit complex bring a pleasant refresh to a classic venue.
- Thanks to Chris Dawson for his awesome pictures!